Some frequently asked questions. Click to see the answer.
Why should I use Ask a UX Expert (instead of other web-based usability sites)?
There are many excellent usability services on the web, such as usertesting.com, fivesecondtest.com, theclicktest.com, and ABTests.com. These services are great for providing data, but they don’t provide expert advice and require you to interpret their results to get insight on how to improve your design.
We believe that our service is more practical for non-designers because we give you that insight directly. We will help you figure out what to do, and, most importantly, why. But if raw data is what you really need, you should use another service.
Who answers the questions?
What exactly is a single, concise UX design question?
There is a lot of flexibility, but this is what we are looking for:
- The question needs to be focused. It doesn’t literally have to be phrased as one question (we aren’t counting question marks) but it does have to be focused on a single issue.
- The question needs to be concisely expressed. It must be easy to read and understand.
- It should be a UX design question, not an implementation or technology question. We aren’t going to help you write your code or select a framework.
- Overall, a UX design expert should be able to answer your question in approximately 30 – 40 minutes or less. If not, you’ll need to break your question up.
What exactly is a single screenshot or mockup?
There is some flexibility here, but this is what we are looking for:
- A visual to supplement your question. It doesn’t literally have to be a single screenshot (it can be a composite), but it does have to be focused on explaining your question visually.
- It must be a single file. It can be a screenshot, mockup, wireframe, or photo.
- Unfortunately, we will not review working code or anything in an executable or zip file. Please take a screenshot of the relevant material instead.
What do you need to know about the target users?
User-centered design requires understanding the target users, so please describe them. Provide characteristics like your target users’ goals, computer knowledge, domain knowledge, work preferences, vocabulary, frequency of use, etc. If a user detail will be helpful, please provide it!
What do you need to know about the context or environment?
Good design decisions require understanding the target users’ context or environment. Where are your users physically? Are they by themselves at their desks, or in the field meeting with customers? Are they always connected? Are they under time pressure or stress? How much data are they dealing with? If contextual information will be helpful, please provide it!
Will you review my entire app for only $199?
Only if you can summarize what you want with a single concise question and screenshot. Our service works because we keep it simple, yet flexible. Please don’t try to game the system—it won’t work.
What if I have follow up questions?
Feel free to ask simple follow up questions to your original question, which we will gladly answer within reason. However, if you want to ask new questions, you will have to submit a new question and another payment.
What if you can’t answer my question?
We will let you know the problem. If there is an issue with the question or screenshot itself, we will ask you to resubmit them. Otherwise, we will promptly refund your payment.
What if I’m not satisfied?
If you are not satisfied with our service, send us feedback on the issue (within 7 days) and we will promptly refund your payment.
I noticed that I can submit a question without payment. Why?
We want you to be able to explore the site and build confidence that Ask a UX Expert is the right solution for you. While you can submit a question without payment, we won’t respond until we have received a payment.
What if we need you to sign a non-disclosure agreement?
Not a problem, but there is an extra one-time charge of $100. In Step 3, please indicate that you need a non-disclosure agreement signed, and provide the NDA document and fax number to send it to.
Can I see the responses to other people’s questions?
No. As a courtesy to our customers, all questions and responses are confidential.